Sunday, April 18, 2010

Where it began in Earnest…

In early 2007 Robert and I visited the Emigrate Show at Sandown Park for the first time. So much information all in one hit, but we soon got an idea of what the process entailed and how long it would take. We downloaded the forms and started the process. Calculating our points, based on education and employment skills. We sent off our money order and then waited……Approximately a year and a half.

During 2008 Robert and I took a trip to Alberta, having listened and talked with people at the Emigrate show we believed that Alberta was the place to be. We spent some time with the relocation guys out there who showed us around and also took full advantage of seeing the sights of the Rockies and the Ghost Towns. I loved the whole area, but we were both unconvinced that living in or around Calgary was within our financial reaches. Up to this point we had ruled out Nova Scotia out as a viable option until we got ourselves more established, thinking that the job market was non-existent.

After the year and half was up, we were then told to send all the required documentation, which we had diligently collected over time, the documents included a police check on both of us, birth certificates, marriage license educational certificates, you name it they wanted it. Most had to be copies and notarized and all had to be present and precise.

Then we waited again for about a year, thinking for sure we had balls up somewhere.
During this time we went another Emigrate show and this time thought more seriously about Nova Scotia as a potential home. We found out from Mike and Orla of UK2Nova Scotia that the housing market was way more affordable and that jobs (although fewer) were there.

After the year was up we were asked to go for a medical, more money, and a stressful morning for me later, we were done. We were advised that the waiting time would be another 3 months before we would hear back.

Well it only took around 4 weeks and we had notification through the post that we were to send off our passports for our Visas (more money of course had to be sent).

We were now just one step away from becoming officially Permanent Residents.

The visa is valid for one year from the date of the medicals; you must land during that year or face starting the whole process again. You don’t have to stay when landing but you must land. So that’s what we did in June 2009, we went for one week and landed officially, of course with a ton of paperwork which is required stating all the stuff you are bringing with you and all the stuff that is to follow later. (Making that list was no mean feat I can tell you!)

We had prepped before the visit, CV’s in hand again and networked with people in our relevant fields. We made some good contacts and will wait and see what comes of them.
We also applied for our Residents Cards, which we had sent to our friends, who kindly sent them on to us. Seeing them come through the post was a pretty proud moment. All the waiting and the endless paperwork had finally paid off.

So once the house and the cat are packed up we will be off to start a new life, I am under no illusion it will be easy, and everyday the thought terrifies me, we might succeed, we might fail, but ultimately I would rather try and fail than live a life of regret thinking what might have been!


Post a Comment


AJ's Nova Scotia Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template