Saturday, May 12, 2012

Open House

I always seem to start of the same way, but it has been another busy work week for me. This week was the culmination of weeks of work all coming together for the end result. Myself and Sarah (My Newfie Best Bud) were tasked with creating a display in our showroom to announce the fact that our branch is launching into more diverse colour printing. We have new equipment on the way which means we will be able to branch into all kinds of areas and print on a wide variety of different substrates.

When we were initially given the mission, we had no brief, except we had a corner to fill. I am proud to say I came up with pretty much the whole concept. I had plinths made, created the banner, and the whole theme centred around the wavy line graphic I found online. I created marketing strap lines and donated my images to hang on different samples in the rack. For every idea I came up with Sarah printed the designs. At first we didn't have a deadline, but then an Open House was arranged for May 10, so we had to step it up a gear. Finally everything fell into place and we finished early Thursday Morning. Let me just say installing the waves on the wall, was tough and took 3 of us. The material is a product called Phototex, thankfully it is forgiving, you peel and stick it, but if you mess up you can pull it off and start again. Best of all it never marks the wall...Definitely my favourite product.

Now you may look at this and and think what was all the fuss about, but logistically it was a nightmare with so many samples to incorporate and get hold of.

The turn out for the event was good, we had a BBQ and the rain held off, people seemed impressed and curious with regards our colourful corner. Our regional boss was in town and he loved it, I chatted with him and he was really impressed and cannot wait to see what results we will yield from the new equipment and marketing. I have never really had a conversation with him before, but he always knows my name and asked me how I was getting along in Dartmouth and if I liked it, I told I did and he said he was pleased as he likes to utilise his best people in the right areas?! Which was nice!


The display includes, plaque mounting, canvas wraps, floor graphics, and samples of vinyls, papers, and mounted boards in the rack in the wall, the map is to illustrate the use of Tyvek which is waterproof and we also have a lawn sign on display made from Coroplast and the sandwich board sign.

A slightly wider view here shows the footprint floor graphics a little better. They say 'step into colour this way' and the strap line on the plinth says 'stay one step ahead in marketing with custom floor graphics'

Okay, enough of the showroom. Rob and I took a trip out to the shops today (Saturday). Something we hardly ever do these days as we never have any money to spend, but I felt the urge to spruce up the ambiance in the back yard a bit, so we got some solar LED fairy lights, I am obviously easily pleased as I couldn't wait for it to get dark to see what they would look like and they look so pretty! We also picked up some more solar lights, the little lantern type to put in the ground and I have to say for a few dollars they make all the difference.

Now I have an observation which I have been meaning to mention for the longest time. Nova Scotia is known for being foggy, it has a lot of foggy days per year and yet cars over here are not fitted with fog lights....Go figure?! How can this be. I know the cars (the builds) are different, but honestly, no fog lights?! The roads here also do not have cats eyes. If you say this to people they have no clue what you are talking about. I think the reason they don't is because of the snow in winter and the ploughs on the roads, I don't think they would survive practically, but I have to say driving at night here is a challenge as the lights (what there are of them) are awfully dim and when it rains it's almost impossible to see the road markings.

Talking telly again now and The Voice (US version) finished this week over here, once again I think the wrong person won, even though he was good I was routing for the only girl left in the final. All my shows are coming to an end in the next couple of weeks, a sure sign that Summer is on the way! I am looking forward to a new series of US and UK Big Brother which should keep me going until all the new stuff starts again in the Autumn.

The weather is looking really nice for Sunday, hence I am updating the blog early. Rob and I hope to get out somewhere tomorrow and next weekend is a Bank Holiday and I have taken an extra day off so will enjoy a 4 day weekend.
Until the next update I will leave you with images of some of the abandoned houses we found on our road trip a couple of weekends ago.

A Postcard from Abandoned Nova Scotia
House on the Hill





I simply call this one 'Creep' Definitely one of the more
spooky ones!
This one is actually for sale!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ's Nova Scotia Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template