Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pumpkin Time

Another busy week for Rob and I. Rob had his two day practical Oil Burner exam. He really struggled on day one largely due to the fact he couldn't get his hands on the books he needed prior to the event, Day two he felt he did better and knew a little more of the subject, but we will have to wait and see if what he did was good enough to pass. We won't know for at least a couple of weeks.

I have been busy working of course and managed to fit in Thursday evening at the car lot. I have quite a few cars to do and I was going to go back on on Friday after Pete's but the weather put an end to that, it rained so hard all day you would not believe.

Saturday was gloriously sunny and Rob was working, so I did absolutely nothing apart from 3 loads of washing and de-fluffed the house. Yes you read that right! Due to the wooden flooring you get 'dust bunnies' all over the place. Just when you think you have swept them all away, more pop up out of nowhere...I would be lying if I said this didn't get on my nerves! Everyone around here knows what 'dust bunnies' are it a very common term!

The weather wasn't great today, grey and drizzly, but we headed to Windsor as it was farm 'open day' today. I printed off a list and picked a couple to go visit, The pumpkin farm was top of my list. There were some outrageously huge pumpkins. Loved it there. We bought our pumpkin in preparation for Halloween, we plan to make a Jako Lantern and once we figure out how to make pumpkin pie, I reckon we will have a freezer load of it, looking a the size of the one we bought (image below). We also found out about an event that surely has to be seen to be believed...On October 10 they have a Pumpkin Paddling Regatta. People participating buy the largest pumpkins they can find, carve them out and turn them into boats (of sorts) and try to get all the way across a stretch of water without sinking. If weather permits, we shall be there!!

I have also made a new friend this week, well actually it all stemmed from the Air Day last weekend (I refer you to the images of the men in uniform in my last post). The bottom image (with flag) is of Arthur. he and I had a great chat whilst I was there, he looked up his photo on my flickr page and we have been batting messages back and forth since. By day, when he is not re-enacting he works for a print firm, he encouraged me to send him some of my photos for him to print out in large format - free of charge, he couriered them over to me at work on Friday, beautiful prints and I am going to show them at the next camera club meeting to hopefully drum up some business for him hopefully. He is giving all camera club members 15% off printing, which is just so nice of him. Anyway, Rob, myself and Arthur are going to meet up at some point for a drink and we shall also pop along and see him in action again on October 9 at Citadel Hill.

Rob and I attended the camera club on Wednesday night, a whole heap of new members were there and I reckon the total of members now must be getting on for 200. They have tons of field trips coming up and I hope to go on at least a few of them. I have also been enlisted to help out on a competition we shall be holding early next year between Wincanton Camera club and Sackville Club. An idea put forward by Lachlan in Wincanton, should be fun going international :o)


The Pumpkin Farm


So many to choose from....


We decided the one on the right was more our size!


Decorative Corn...Whatever that's for!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

AJ's Nova Scotia Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template